The first German Speaking Championship 2022-2023 was held last December at St Ignatius College Secondary School, Qormi. 26 secondary schools (state and non-state) took part in this event. 104 young speakers from all state and non-state schools have been brought together to showcase their speaking abilities in a German speaking contest. They were able to convey information verbally in German and in a way that the listener could understand. A certificate of participation was awarded to the participants who have completed all speaking activities. An award ceremony recognised then the success of year 8 and year 10 students who were able to communicate effectively in German. The best 3 students from each year group were:
Year 8 Winners
First Place- Julia Spiteri from Our Lady Immaculate Secondary School, Hamrun.
Second Place- He Ruolin from St Clare College Middle & Secondary School, Pembroke.
Third Place- Allison Li Ana Dempsey from Gozo College Middle School, Rabat.
Year 10 Winners
First Place- Kylie Camilleri from Our Lady Immaculate Secondary School, Hamrun.
Second Place- Julia Camilleri from Malta Visual and Performing Arts Secondary School, Hamrun.
Third Place- Stevie Spiteri from St Monica School, Gzira.
A word of thanks goes
- To his Excellency Mr Walter Haβmann, the ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany in Malta and Ms Alba Bustamante, PA to the Ambassador
- To Dr Alice Micallef, Assistant Director (Learning & Assessment Programmes)
- To Dr Doreen Said Pace, Head of College Network St Ignatius College
- To Mr Pizzuto, Head of St Ignatius College Secondary School
- To Ms. Daniela Dimech, Ms Claire Scicluna, Ms Ritienne Grech and Ms Michelle Vella Gobey, the Heads of German Department
- To the School Leadership Team at St Ignatius College Secondary School
- To Ms. Mary Jo Caruana and Ms Mariana Cauchi, the teachers of German at St Ignatius College Secondary School
- To all teachers of German and their students who attended the event (state and non-state)
- To the German language assistants
- To members of school staff and outside helpers